Friday, October 31, 2008

Here comes the storm



We've been so blessed with such fabulous weather, but this weekend it looks like we'll be welcoming rain and possibly snow early next week. Being raised in Oregon, I love the rain...but it wasn't like that when I was a kid. I remember staring out the window wishing I could go play as a 10 year old. As a teenager it was just a downer. Then I moved to Texas.

I had never seen it rain so hard that you had to pull the car over because you couldn't see the road. That was Texas. I'd never seen steam rise off the pavement at 4am after an early morning sprinkle. That was Texas. I'd never experienced 112+ degree weather or ice storms. Turns out growing up in Oregon was quite docile compared to places my future would bring me.

I guess that's my point. When we're younger we can't wait to move on. But what's the hurry? There's no doubt that the memories you form as a child will come back as some of the best times of your life. These days I appreciate rain for so many reasons. It brings "green" to nature and fills our lakes and rivers. It helps us stay home with our families in the cozy comfort of our kitchen....or lazing out in front of the television snuggled up on the couch....or just simply enjoying the sound of the rain on the roof. It's definitely home baked bread weather so here's a terrific recipe that'll make your house smell like heaven! It's one of many you'll find on my website at http://www.cookingwithangel.com/.

SUN-DRIED TOMATO CHEESE BREAD


1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes

2 cloves garlic

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

2 t. baking powder

½ t. baking soda1

¼ t. salt

4 ounces shredded provolone

½ cup finely chopped green onion

2 t. minced fresh parsley

¾ t. dried rosemary, crumbled

2/3 t. coarsely ground pepper

2 t. shortening

2 t. sugar

2 large eggs

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1¼ cups buttermilk

1/3 cup chopped pine nuts

Drain tomatoes, reserving 2 t. oil; chop tomatoes and set aside. Cook garlic in a small amount of boiling water for 15 minutes; drain; peel and mash garlic, set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt; stir well. Add chopped tomatoes, cheese, green onion, parsley, rosemary and pepper; stir well. Combine reserved oil, shortening and sugar; beat with whisk until smooth. Add mashed garlic, eggs and buttermilk; stir well. Add chopped tomatoes, garlic mixture and pine nuts to flour mixture; stirring just until blended.
Spread batter in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ by 3 in loaf pan; smooth top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on rack.

No comments: